SSD Hosting Services vs. Standard Web Hosting
Technology marches on, and with the media, blogging, and programming demands on hosting servers, it’s no surprise that standard hard drives are beginning to slow customer page loading for many HDD oriented hosting services.
SSD hosting providers are now offering affordable monthly plans and many claim gains of up to 300% in up and down load speeds over traditional HDD host providers.
Solid-state drives are very much like gigantic USB drives, and they tend to be much faster – up to 300% faster – than normal hard drives. With the lack of moving parts, you can imagine how much faster they are, and much less prone to break down they can be. Following are a few of the highlights and lowlights of solid-state drives, versus standard hard drives.
SSD – SSDs have no delays when it comes to read/write requests, as everything is one gigantic memory circuit. SSDs can serve random data a hundred times faster than a normal HDD, and they have extremely high transfer speeds, as well.
Solid State Drive Hosting is Ideal for:
- High performance web applications
- High concurrent access databases
- Frequently accessed tables
- Large read-intensive databases
- Transaction Logs
- Storing Indexes
- High-end storage
- Credit card transactions
Unfortunately, since SSDs are still considered as something of an emerging technology, the cost-to-memory ratio has been quite steep, budget wise but not anymore. The largest reliable SSDs at this point are about one terabyte, as opposed to 4-terabyte monster HDDs. Nevertheless, we’ve begun to see more affordable SSD web hosting plans in the market space as SSDs gains traction.
Standard Web Hosting
HDD – Hard disk drives (HDD) are established memory devices, having been around in one form or another since the 50s. However, due to its mechanical parts, there are set limits to how fast it can access data. Because it’s an established technology, the cost-to-memory ratio is very affordable, with memory of up to four terabytes available for reasonable prices. Still, you do have to take into account that HDDs are slower and, thanks to their mechanical parts, tend to break down easier as well.
If your website does not require blazing quick performance and your application is not using millions of small files that are accessed randomly, you should consider a HDD hosting plan. In other words, if you are a start-up or your website is at this stage, a presentation page with a low number of visitors then consider opting for a standard HDD hosting plan.
If you’re running a very busy site, particularly one that has an e-commerce platform that handles significant credit card transactions or your business depends on speedy database and email I/O rates, a SSD web hosting plan makes perfect sense.
Yet before we review the top HDD and SSD web hosting providers, here are some considerations on what to look for in a web hosting provider.
E-mail and other add-ons – Ask your your prospective web hosting provider what their solution is for spam e-mail. Do research on their general e-mail practices, unless you’d like an inbox full of spam.
Moreover, you might have a look at what each hosting provider offers as an extra incentive. This becomes particularly important if you’re faced with two or more very similar packages from different hosting companies. Be it free domain privacy or larger data storage, it’s a good idea to check on these possible deal-clinchers.
Tech Support and Customer Satisfaction – Even if it’s a free web hosting provider, or essentially a “free website,” everyone still appreciates responsive and positive tech support. One important key to a successful business is to be “always-on” – that is, it should have as little downtime as possible, and have as few issues as possible on the side of the provider. If the tech support team can handle it, act on your concerns, and even give you a reasonable ETA for when your site will go up, then you’ve done well in choosing your hosting company. Do research on customer reviews to find out about how good a particular provider is for tech support issues and server hardware.
Our List of the Top HDD and SSD Web Hosting Providers
HostGator offers the best value to small businesses due to its superior customer service and top-of-the-line web hosting features at packages that suits even the most limited of budgets. One of the distinct packages offered by HostGator is its pay-as-you-go or web hosting on demand. Instead of paying a recurring monthly bill, you are only required to pay the amount of space and bandwidth you were able to utilize within a period of time.In terms of security, HostGator can guarantee protection to your websites against threatening attacks from hackers and DDOs with its extremely reliable custom firewall rule and large mod security system in place. Core Features are as follows:
- Environmentally oriented company operations
- Programming languages and modules include CGI, Fast CGI, PHP 5, Ruby on Rails, Perl, Python, SSI, Curl, CPAN, GD Library, and ImageMagick
- Has hosting package plans from one-domain, single-user options, to a full-on business plan which includes VoIP capabilities
- Offers POP3 e-mail accounts
- Unlimited Disk Space and Bandwidth
- 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
- No Contract with a 45 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Safe Harbor Certified
- Free Weebly SiteBuilder and Website Building Tools
- 4,500 Free Website Templates
- Free Website Transfer, Domain Transfer, MySQL Transfer, Script Transfer
- 52 Free scripts can be instantly installed on your account with a few clicks
- $100 Google Adwords Offer
- Website Statistics: AWStats, Webalizer, Raw Log Manager, Referrer and Error Logs
- Instant Shopping Carts, Blogs, Portals, Forums, Counters, and Formmail
- Web Based File Manager, Hotlink Protection, IP Deny Manager, Redirect URL
- Get 20% off all HostGator Hosting plans
iPage offers the best web hosting solution for beginners and owners of small companies. The system included in the iPage packages is relatively easy to use and maintain. With highly innovative features and tools, you can definitely create a beautifully-crafted website that is highly accessible to your target audience anytime.One of the many features which make iPage stand out from its rivals it their excellent uptime guarantee. iPage ensures a highly secure and safe server for your website, thus you do not have to worry about breaches and hacker attacks. Web site design and build features are as follows:
- Drag and Drop Site Builder (6 Pages)
- Template-Based Site Builder
- Personalized Domain Name
- Blog Setup Wizard
- Photo Gallery Setup Wizard
- Free Online Store
- Choice of Shopping Cart
- PayPal Integration
- Shared SSL
- Web Hosting Control Panel
- Enhanced Security Suite (A $100 Value)
- 24×7 Network Monitoring
- High Performance Load Balanced Servers information
- Visitor Statistics/Site Traffic Reporting
Web Site Marketing
- Access to Online Marketing Guides
- $100 Google AdWords OfferClick for more information
- $25 Credit for Yahoo!/Bing Sponsored Search information
- $50 Credit for Facebook Advertising
- Free Yellowpages.com Listing
- Free Toll-Free Phone Number (US Only)
Sending & Receiving Email
- Email Addresses at Your Domain (firstname.lastname@example.org) Unlimited WebMail (Checking Your Mail Online)
- Email Forwarding
- Customizable Spam Filters
- Virus Checking
Standard Core Features
- unlimited bandwidth
- unlimited disk space
- unlimited domains
- unlimited FTP accounts, FTP manager, and secure FTP
- unlimited MySQL Databases
- Web hosting plans for $1.99 per month, 75% Off
- Simple site design tools make it easy to create your own website.
- No downloads, special software, or tech experience is necessary—everything you need is online.
- You can customize free professional designs from Yahoo Web Hosting to suit your business.
- A step-by-step guide and checklist walk you through creating a site.
- Support for third-party design and development tools (Advanced and Premier plans only).
- Photo galleries and slideshows provide a geat way to visually promote your business.
- Video galleries are perfect for product demos, speeches, testimonials from happy customers, and more.
- Visitors can play or download any audio tracks you post, such as original music, readings, sermons, and more.
- Customizable forms capture valuable contact info and help you generate new leads.
- Maps and driving directions can help customers easily find your business.
- Dynamic content and other tools to engage visitors can be added to your site using Widgetbox.
- Google AdSense ads on your site offer a way to earn additional revenue as your site traffic grows.
- Use social networks like Facebook and Twitter to interact with your customers and prospects.
- View in real-time what products customers are buying or what pages visitors are browsing. Even initiate a live chat with customers, all available free with Live Web Insights for the iPhone or desktop.
- Monitor and improve your search rankings with the help of our detailed recommendations.
- Discover your top keywords, top referring sites, and more at a glance with Live Web Insights.
- Track where your traffic is coming from and see which of your marketing efforts are giving you the best return on investment.
- Easily add Google Analytics or Yahoo Web Analytics tracking to your site to gather more actionable website and marketing metrics. These accounts must be set up separately.
Web Site Promotion/Marketing
- Announce your new site with a grand-opening email.
- Submit your site to Yahoo, Google and Microsoft search engines with just a click.
- Reach customers looking for businesses in your area by listing your site in Yahoo Local.
- Discover dozens of ways to promote your business for low or no cost with our marketing how-to guides.
- Save on search-advertising compaign costs: Get a $100 credit toward the Yahoo Bing Network. Credit is valid on new accounts only.
- An included domain name
- 100GB, 500GB, or unlimited disk space
- 1,000GB/mo., 5,000GB/mo., or unlimited data transfer
- Unlimited email storage.
- 250, 500, or 1,000 email address (e.g., email@example.com) and professional email service.
- Private Domain Registration to protect your contact information (Premier plan only).
- 24-7 phone, email, and online support.
- 30-day web hosting satisfaction guarantee.
- Web hosting plans for $1.75 per month
BlueHost is one of the more established web hosting companies that cater to small and even large companies. One of the veterans in the hosting industry, BlueHost has been delivering outstanding service to its customers since 2006. BlueHost takes web hosting seriously by formulating their own tools and features in the delivery of reliable web hosting. Redundant servers and highly-resilient backups guarantee customers 99.99% uptime and accessibility of the websites for their long list of customers. Features you should expect with most plans:
- Unlimited Domains
- Unlimited Storage
- Unlimited Websites
- Unlimited Email Accounts
- Free Domain Name
- Automated Backups
- 24/7 Support
- $200 in Free Offers
- Money-back Guarantee
- Content Delivery Network (CloudFlare) is available for free for all plans
- Unlimited web hosting for $4.95 per month
GoDaddy is the largest web hosting company there is. And you may be wondering how small business outfits can benefit from subscribing to a GoDaddy web hosting plan. Affordability and reliability are the two greatest benefits that you can get from GoDaddy. And with tons of features that you can utilize and apply in website creation, your business will be just as successful as the other clients that subscribe to GoDaddy web hosting plans as well. The exceptional features found in GoDaddy hosting packages are first rate:
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Disk space offered up to 10GB+
- Offered domains range between 100 to 1000
- Up to 10 MySQL databases
- Proprietary easy-to-use control panel
- Web hosting plans for $1 per month
- 25% off for new customers
With an uptime guarantee of 99.99%, you can never go wrong with choosing a GoDaddy web hosting service plan. The quality of their network is renowned as their technological arsenal includes cutting-edge computing devices as well as highly-secure, multiple Internet connections and round the clock network monitoring solutions.
In terms of customer service, expect nothing but knowledgeable and friendly professionals to assist you in your concerns.
InMotion is undoubtedly one of the best hosting company for small businesses. The company was originally designed to cater to small to medium-scale businesses that need expert assistance in web creation, development, and maintenance.InMotion as over ten years in the web hosting business and has built a reputation as a highly reliable and affordable web hosting company. They commit to 99.99% uptime and guarantee its feasibility promise with the help of two data centers and up to 4,000 web servers for its long list of clientele. Aside from its remarkable hosting abilities, InMotion is also proud of its ultra-fast loading speed.
- Unlimited Disk Space (GB)
- Monthly Transfer Included (GB)
- MySQL Databases
- Websites on 1 Account
- FREE Domain Registration or Transfer
- FREE No-Downtime Website Transfers
- FREE Data Backups
- 24x7x365 US-Based Support
- 90-Day Money Back Guarantee
- Free Advertising Credits
- SPAM Safe Email with IMAP
- Business-Class Hardware
- Max Speed Zones
- E-Commerce Ready
- Easy Control Panel
- Over 310 FREE Applications
- Premium Website Builder
- Unlimited Sub Domains (Pro Plan)
- SSD hosting plans $5.95 per month
Want lightening fast up and download speeds? Have a look at SSD webhosting providers like A2 Hosting and Media Temple.
A2 Hosting is one of the premier SSD hosting providers, and it’s no surprise why: with cloud server capability and a technological structure geared for speed and information recall, A2 Hosting is perfect for people who need speed when it comes to loading their sites, or for the expected heavy traffic on their sites. This makes it perfect for sites with e-commerce platforms, company front-end online access sites, and even sites with heavy multimedia content.
- SwiftServer SSDs with Up To 300% Faster Page Loads Than Competing Hosts
- No-click WordPress setup
- 24/7/365 Guru Crew Support
- Unlimited Resources
- Free Server Rewind Backup
- Free HackScan protection
- 20% off Prime + SSD web hosting plans with coupon code: ichitect20off
For over 15 years, Media Temple has proudly offered superior hosting services and support. From WordPress blogs and portfolio sites to small business sites, e-commerce, and beyond, Media Temple has a reliable hosting plan to suit most businesses. And all of Media Temple’s web hosting plans are backed by it’s industry-leading, award-winning, 24/7/365 live support.
When Media Temple designed the Grid to be one of the web’s first public cloud hosting platforms, they knew it had to be powerful. Multiple servers handle every site, so the Grid has redundancy built in. The Grid’s bandwidth scales with your traffic. So you can grow without worrying about getting shut down. Media Temple employs the latest server technologies, like PHP 5.5 and FastCGI, that make your website pages load up to 6x faster.
Here’s a look at some of Media Temple’s web hosting features:
- SSD database storage
- 1,000 email accounts
- Host up to 100 websites
- 1TB monthly bandwidth
- 100 GB storage
- 24/7/365 live support
- Free domain with 1-year hosting plan with coupon code: FREEDOMAIN